Friday, August 28, 2009

"Reading Rainbow" and the world...

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=112312561

That is an article for you to read if you'd like. It's about "Reading Rainbow" and the fact that it will no longer be on TV. Apparently, teaching kids to love books is no longer important. Rather, they should only learn HOW to read.

This is the whole problem with education, and at least I can give the IB program that little bit of credit. Education seems to be leaning more and more to HOW HOW HOW, and not the why. What does it matter if you know how to play music but not why? If music becomes only the dots on the page, it is boring and emotionless, and the whole point is that music expresses that which words cannot.

If we know HOW to pray, but not why, what is the point? Anyone can kneel and fold their hands, but if you don't know why you get on your knees, and why you pray to God, what is the point? I'm all for knowing how. How is an important thing. It is something that is lacking at times, too. As I reflect on my life in church, it seems that people are often taught to pray. We are taught to thank God. To pray for our friends and family, for those who are hurting, and for the needs around us. But then, do we remember why? That we want to thank God for all that He has given us. That we want to open the roads of communication with our Saviour.

Just something that is going through my head as I look at that article. And as I think about teachers around me who teach the WHY and then not the HOW. there is a huge balance, and I feel that by letting "Reading Rainbow" go, we are losing one side of the scale. How and why go hand in hand and cannot truly exist exclusively.

Enough for tonight. It's time for bed. I love you all. Please pray for me as I'm going through some tough times at the moment and I'm resting in the assurance that God tests us all to make us stronger, just like steel that is tested to its limits, so must I be tested in order to become strong in Christ. It is all for a reason, and I don't know what that reason is yet, but I have faith that it will all work out.

<3

No comments: