Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Realizations...

One of the goals in my life is to go to every continent and do something worthwhile during my time there. I don't like to travel for travels sake. Never have. I like to do things, see things, learn things. Some of my friends are part of what's called The World Race. It's 11 months in 11 different countries doing mission work in different ways. When I heard about it, I was very interested. It's very expensive, but if it was meant to happen, it would... but then, today, as I was reading a friend's blog, and thinking about if I would ever do something like that, I realized that I'm more of a long term person. If I were doing something like that, I'd want to spend much longer than a month in each place. I'd really want to settle somewhere. A few weeks ago, I started looking at those around the world plane tickets. However, they're really complicated because you make some amazing itinerary, but then you can't get from place to place without back tracking and losing miles... It's frustrating. I think it would be fun to save up money and just leave for a while and go where ever God leads me. Whether that is to Korea, Mongolia, Zambia, Israel... wherever... I just think that sounds wildly entertaining! But then, sometimes I just don't know. There are so many things to do in the world and it seems that there is never enough time or money to do them.

Pastor R* and I were talking about that today. In reference to the movie "up". (yes it's a cartoon). I haven't watched it yet, but he said it was about a man who, when he realized he was alone (his wife died or something), went on these grand adventures. Why do we wait until times like that to do what we've always wanted to do? Frankly, I don't like being tied down. I want to be able to do the things that are all over the world. I want to meet people and forge relationships with people from other cultures. I want to experience their culture and learn and grow alongside them. It's interesting to me, because last year, when we were in that village in Bangalore, I could see myself living there and getting to know the children and their parents, and in that week, began to form the foundations for what could have grown into much more. That kind of thing excites me...

but now the question... where does this put me for my life? where does this mean I'm going? AHH

No comments: