Thursday, August 7, 2008

Shocked and appalled

I was going to walk the lake during my break, but 1) I'm too tired and 2) I have more work to do.

I'm constantly shocked and appalled by the communication and the ability to work together. It's obvious that we have cabinets upon cabinets of music, so why on earth are you going to use a full band method book for private lessons? this particular method book is currently being used in the band classroom. Why not give him some fresh music to look at in his lessons so he has more to do.

I'm just appalled that people would rather a kid become bored out of their mind than find REAL MUSIC for them to play. Method books are just for spot checking techniques and concepts, not for full on, 40 minute PRIVATE lessons. I mean, this kid has an hour of band twice a cycle, a 40 minute lesson and (4) 40 minute practices. Is he really going to play the same thing for all of those? I'd prefer this kid is learning more techniques and thus not bored when we're in band. I'm severely perturbed by this notion. And I have a sense that I'm going to bring it up at our department meeting later. I'm really the only person teaching winds that has a degree in music, and specifically, music education. I've kind of been appointed at different times as kind of the wind and percussion head. I'm the band teacher. Ultimately, these kids come into my class 2 times a week to make (hopefully) beautiful music. But if you're spoonfeeding them, you're not helping the band, in fact, you're hurting the band. This hurts my heart. Cus in a school where opportunities like private lessons are offered, they should be of use and should be turning out good, competent musicians. Not kids that can barely pass RSM, and/or barely SOMETIMES read a key signature.

There will be a talk later, I think I decided this.

There needs to be some curriculum. It's kind of okay when it's one teacher teaching everybody. But when one person has flutes and beginning clarinets, one person has brass (except for horn), one person has saxes, a couple clarinets, and elementary aged kids (including beginner band), and ANOTHER has advanced clarinets, horn, and percussionists, there has to be a sort of curriculum that keeps consistency in training a priority.

That is my rant. B/C I'm frustrated by the lack of concern for the musicians that are being turned out (based on the kids I've received).

I'm done.

No comments: