Thursday, August 14, 2008

A Prayer

Something I've been reading/praying/meditating on a lot recently is missions. And by this, I don't necessarily mean my involvement or future in them (though that is an essential part of why it particularly interests me).

I know so many people who have never been outside of their little corner of the world. They've never seen the different people, cultures, and backgrounds around them. The beauty that is inherant in everything, and they miss it. The people all around us that are broken and ignored. Even within their own communities.

You know I came over here with really no idea what I was doing, and without anyone physically in my presence that knew what I was about to go through. This made it just a bit more challenging, but in a way, has been a complete blessing. It's given me the opportunity to just kind of be open to where God's voice is calling, and allowed me to learn a lot already.

But it also makes me think of the people at home who have no idea what this is like. Who have no idea that there are people in Kernersville, or Rome, or Greensboro that are living in conditions worse and harder than what I live in (let me tell you, life here is much more plush than I would have thought). But that people are all around us and need our help. There are nations all around the world that need to hear the Gospel. There are souls that need someone to be willing to love them.

So I pray. I pray for those souls. That God can give them strength to hold on until someone comes to quench their thirst. I pray for the hearts of those people who will be the ones to bring the Spring of Life to them. I pray for my friends around the world who are blind to what is going on. And I pray for my church families, that they may realize that the world out here needs them. That we can't just sit in our respective communities and go to church on Sunday. We can't just drop vegetables off at our church family's doors; we have to drop them off to others as well. open our arms, our hearts, our minds, our souls, and our being to the people who just don't know.

As Christians, we are commanded to spread the Word. it's not a recommendation, it's not an option for a job, it is supposed to be our way of life. It is what we are supposed to do in and among everything else we do.

And this is why I cry sometimes.

Because so many people are being ignored right next to us, and far away from us. How often is missions or evangelism just a topic or a side note to a 'bigger picture'? How often do we actually sit down and read about what's going on? How often do we really think about the world and what is going on in it and WHY that is going on?

Why are people so scared of the Lord? Why is it that Christianity is the religion that is outlawed in different states around India and other parts of the world? Why are people against it?

Because it's true.

And the devil wants to stop it from spreading. Planting evil in government officials' hearts to stop the spread of LOVE. Planting fear in Christians so that we won't proclaim anyway. Planting struggles to try and turn us away.

And we let it happen.

And that's my prayer.

That we don't let it happen. That we do something. From whatever corner of the globe we are on and whatever field we work and play in. Where ever we are. That we do something.

That we love each other so much that we are willing to be REAL PEOPLE, and share our souls and our selves and our blessings.

That is my prayer.

1 comment:

The Questioner said...

Melissa,

Thanks for the encouragement! It is always good to talk to people to are following their call from God, I look forward to reading your blog and keeping in touch!

God Bless,

Brooke