Friday, April 24, 2009

Currently reading...

I tend to read too many books at one time. And as I recently described myself to a fellow book-lover, I'm a cleptomaniac when it comes to books. I love them. And I love to own them, write on them, mark them, ask questions, write thoughts, and just generally devour books. Because of this, I'm not very good at borrowing them or being a member of a library. This is okay if it's a simple read, or something that will take me a day or two, but most of the books I read do not fall into this category.

I've been posting and e-mailing quotes recently, and I've been blogging about them in some of my other blogs I have and maintain. I just figured I'd let you know what I'm currently reading so you kind of know where they're coming from if you'd ever like to check them out.

First, a devotional I came across at FBC's library and fell in love with, causing me to buy my own copy, called "Streams in the Desert".

Second, "The Great Divorce". I came across this at last year's summer Crossroads at Gardner Webb in the school bookstore, on sale, so I had to get it. Thus, I'm still reading it. The beginning is a bit harder to get into, and I admit, I slacked on reading it for a while, but the end is very good. I plan to finish it soon. (Probably this weekend).

Third, a book I first heard about from a friend of mine in New Zealand, felt compelled to read it, found it in the church library, and again, ended up buying my own copy. I've been reading it for almost two years now as it takes me a long time to get through and contemplate and think about each section, person or chapter as I go. It's emotional as much as it is intellectual. It's called "Foxe's Book of Martyrs".

Fourth. Well, I found this book on sale during one of my day trip excursions to NYC and it was raining. I decided to duck into the Barnes and Noble on Broadway and have some coffee and sit and read for a while. So I did. I thoroughly enjoyed that day and found this book on sale. So, of course, I got it. This book is quite an intellectual read and so has taken me a long time to start (and it is quite daunting at 545 pages of translated Latin. It is "City of God" by Saint Augustine. I'm glad I've begun it, because it's become cross referenced with Foxe's Book of Martyrs and it helps me to have read both.

Lastly, I picked up a book today that I plan to start this evening. I've heard a lot about it in the last few months and I figure it's time to read it. It was in the school book fair so I picked it up. "The Shack". We shall see if it lives up to the reputation it has been given.

There are so many more books I want to read and I'm compelled to start, but I think I should start finishing some books (Great Divorce is first in line for that) before I start another. I think next for me to read is "A Christian Theology of Religions"...

However, today my flute teacher told me a few books that I need to read so they'll be thrown in as well. First, a story I began today called "The Other Wise Man". He's interested in trying to write it musically, so we'll see if we can't do that after I read it through. "Christ Recrucified" I added to my list recently, and he mentioned it today, so I think I'll be reading that soon, as well. And then one called "Polly Anna" that I've never heard of.

So, that's what I'm reading in case you're wondering where these quotes are coming from.

All my love.

No comments: