Tuesday, September 27, 2011

A season of being fed...

So, I find that, since being back, there is a lot I want to write about (but now struggle with finding the time), but I think it has a lot to do with being in a season of being fed.

Overseas, it can be difficult to always be fed. To hear new information to work with, and to keep yourself up.

Well, now I'm being force-fed a whole bunch of new information and it gives me so much new meat to chew that it is almost too much sometimes! And I'm not even close to kidding. I have insane amounts of work to do (this week, I think I will turn in 18 pages of writing), and I have to sleep.

But I really enjoy it! The information, at least, not necessarily the work load. I am reading Genesis, reading Augustine, reading the founders of the Baptist tradition, and I am CRACKING UP! Not even close to being a joke. I truly believe that there are amazing moments of comedy in the Bible and that Biblical scholars are no better... In fact, their commentary sometimes just makes the moments in the Bible that more absurd! (Take for example the story of Essau and Jacob. The commentator said: "How hairy was Essau that goat skin felt the same as he did?"...) Seriously?

Or even, this exchange of treatises(writings) in early America between Roger Williams(Baptist, and defender of religious liberty) and John Cotton (supporter/defender of Standing Order, aka: trying to make a state church like they had in England):
RW (1644): The Bloudy Tenent of Persecution for Cause of Conscience Discussed
JC (1647): The Bloudy Tenent, Washed, and Made White in the Bloud of the Lamb
RW (1652): The Bloudy Tenent, yet More Bloudy: By Mr Cottons Endeavor to Wash It White in the Bloud of the Lambe

How can you NOT laugh at that?

Or even this passage after Rachel stole the idols from her father's house before she fled with Leah and Jacob:
Gen 31:34-35 (Laban is in Jacob's camp looking for his idols that he is SURE someone took from him): Rachel, meanwhile, had taken the idols and placed them in the camel cushion and sat on them; and Laban rummaged through the tent without finding them. For she said to her father, "Let not my lord take it amiss that I cannot rise before you, for the period of women is upon me." Thus he searched, but could not find the household idols.

Seriously?!

How can you not find humor and just pure outrageousness in the Bible? I'm not trying to sound heretical or anything, but it's interesting to read it with certain inputs that spin the story just a little bit and bring out to you the things you haven't noticed before. To take it slowly and really read the words and commentary on it and see just how absurd a situation actually is. It's very interesting.

And in fact, I'm going to have to go on and do some more homework... I have a lot to do before Thursday but just wanted to take a moment and write an entry.

Another day, another time, I'll have more to say.

Peace!

No comments: