Thursday, September 15, 2011

Birthrights....

So, my old computer is updating and installing a new anti-virus, so I have some time... there is no guarantee that it will start after this reboot, but we'll try... (This is why I had to buy a new computer in mid-July. The old one just can't decide if it's going to work at any given time.) Why am I putting up with this nonsense for hours on end for the past few nights? O, because there is a $600 piece of software (well, two of them) on that Windows based machine that I need to use for a project for one of my jobs. So I'm trying to get it working long enough to get the task done...

So I'll write on this topic that came to me earlier today.

I'm reading this book called Let Your Life Speak, and in one of the chapters, he is talking about birthrights. We are born into a birthright, in the sense that we are born with gifts that are going to be used in our vocation. Notice, this word is not OCCUPATION. In our vocation, our gifts are of the utmost importance and used to the best of their ability.

Being at school has made me realize (as if I didn't already know this, but it confirms it even more) how indebted I am to the childhood I had. I have always known it was a fantastic childhood (with the exception of a few things). I was truly blessed by my family and the community I was born into (both as a town and as a church).

In the book, the author talks about being born into a birthright, and then, throughout time, people take and mold you into something else, whether by design or not. Eventually, you either learn to live with your lesser self, or you become so disillusioned with it that you then go searching for what your vocation was supposed to be. Drawing on the experiences and activities that you enjoyed when you were a child.

Well, the first 11 years of my life were amazing. I knew who I was, what my place was, what I wanted to be when I grew up, and I was fully supported by those around me. When people talked to me, they didn't try to change me. I had a community around me that was uplifting and caring. There were people that completely loved me for me.

Is it any wonder that, as an adult, I want to be back there? Is that really a surprise? People say you can't go back to where you came from. And in the sense that the place isn't going to be the same, that is true. However, for me, that was my 'happy place' and being back there still makes me happy. It is a slower pace of life, much like the life I lived overseas. It is based around the people close to you. It is a place that is just awesome all around.

My birthright left when I left that place. It took a long time for me to find it again. Thankfully I found it earlier rather than later. I just wish I had never lost it.

I can go back to where I'm from. It's different, but it's the same. It's family.

No comments: