Wednesday, November 25, 2009

"Santa, I can see your pillow"

The lower school had a visit from santa today, and it was awesome. All around, it was a good day. It started with meetings and getting things organized and sending correspondances to about 7 different countries, and around lunch time, it just went in the right direction. I had bells on my shoes. Christmas music was playing in the staff lounge. Santa was here for the kids. The last day of school and they are OFF THE WALLS! I spent half an hour with 1st and 2nd graders, chasing them around the quad and then they were calling me Mrs. Clause and were my reindeers and leading me to the north pole.

It was so nice to just release it all. To forget that I'm "the boss" and that there is so much to do. To just revel in the holidays with people around me. To show students that teachers can have fun, too. To just let it all go. To watch santa talk to the kids, and give them gifts. To wish them all a good vacation. To cram a bus full of students to go to the upper school at the end of the day. To laugh and sing songs. To eat the meal that was supposed to be prepared for the Christmas banquet last weekend.

And tomorrow is thanksgiving, and what am I thankful for?
-I am thankful for all of you that have taken the time to come and read this blog and who e-mail me and pray for me and support me while I'm here. The people at home that I miss so much for the holidays.
-For the people who are here that keep me sane. And support me. And stand by me when things are rough.
-For my colleagues that support me. That drive me insane. That are behind me and push me to be better than I am.
-For my students. A year and a half in, and they are on my like flies on sticky paper. They are all over the place. Kids that aren't even music students. It's a wonderful feeling to know that they are comfortable enough to come into your office and cry when they need to, but that they still respect you enough to do push-ups when you tell them to.
-For my friends all over the world that I haven't seen in a long time. that still keep in touch and are still amazing and wonderful people. Even watching them grow from a distance is an honor.
-For the people here who have become my family. My aunties and uncles, and moms and dads, and akas and thambis and anays. These are the people that make my life complete. Fill up my heart.

It's an amazing time of year. I'm glad I don't have to work during it (or at least, after Saturday).

<3

No comments: