Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Love Conquers All

Today, I was in charge of religious assembly at school... The theme was "Love Protects" coming from 1 Corinthians. We've been studying it all semester in these assemblies... I had no idea how to address this. I didn't know how to make it relevant to the students. How do you present this to a diverse group of religious backgrounds? I had no idea at all, and spent time yesterday praying about it, and praying for God to use me for something the kids needed.

As I was playing around the internet, I realized that this Friday is To Write Love on Her Arms day. I took part in this when I was in America, and it is the ultimate in love protecting. That combined with the Lifehouse skit from youtube, proved to be a pretty powerful assembly. During the first video (the story of TWLOHA), I saw kids crying, not being able to watch, but mostly, riveted. There was no talking in the hall. Then I read the mission of TWLOHA. Go to their website to read it. (www.twloha.com)

It speaks that we are meant to love and be loved. That we need community. That our lives mean something. That the best is yet to come.

Then I played the 'Lifhouse "Everything" skit' from youtube (check it out at youtube.com and search for that title). It is a very powerful video. And before I played it, I had the first image up, and you have Jesus standing there in a robe with a purple sash. And I told the kids "even if you don't believe in that man, see him as love, and what love is willing to do for you, and can do for you, above all the temptations the world throws at you."

And at the end "There is at least one person in this room that loves you enough to do that. Reach out. God is love. Love conquers all. And the greatest of these, is love."

I was freaking out. The first video is not an easy one. It is harsh and real. It does not hide things. It is raw. And the words Renee carves into her arm are not good, and when they popped onto the screen, I was worried that the administration that was sitting around the hall would have a problem. That they'd think all of this inappropriate.

There was someone in that room that needed to hear that today. Someone needed to know that there is hope out there. That they can reach out. That there are people ready and willing to help. I really hope that's the case. I pray that those kids learned something. I've gotten a lot of good responses from the kids, and from some of the staff. Thanking me for being real.

I can't be anything but real. I don't know why I am that way, but it's the truth. There is nothing in me but truth, and sometimes, that's harsh. God gave me words today, and I pray they fell on open ears.

"The greatest of these is love."

I love you all.

No comments: