Thursday, October 9, 2014

Word-stoppage and new languages

I've recently found myself at a loss for words. That's not usual for me (it probably doesn't seem that way to you, as my blog has regularly had periods of absence, but I promise words are normally flowing somewhere). Perhaps it is because I'm living in my head so much right now adjusting to a new normal - and that could very well be the case. I'm sort of just starting to find myself in a new place - not that I lost myself, but I'm starting to meld and merge and communicate.

I'm excited to find my voice in a new place... it reminds me of learning a new language (which reminds me - I need to practice more - and perhaps learn a new one)... where for a while you are just observing, hearing new sounds, but unable to voice anything that makes sense to those around you yet still survive and complete the most basic of tasks. Learning Tamil took me a long time. While some people jumped right in and were making fools of themselves quite quickly, I sit back and listen more because I want to understand what's going on before I speak. I learned a couple words my first year, but it was my second and third years that I finally started communicating in Tamil. By the time I moved, I could get in a taxi and have a complete conversation in Tamil. I felt accomplished.

I'm trying to remember that as I learn a new "language" right now.

I was given advice before I moved (in 2008) - that it takes years before a place becomes "yours". And today I was thinking about people I know to whom I can say "I have your child!" jump in the car and we'll meet them somewhere later... Well - reminder to myself: that took years, too. You don't jump right in and have it all figured out and know everyone, and that is normal.

I'm trying to give myself grace, because I *DO* expect a lot from myself.

But for now, my goal this weekend is to get back on the bandwagon of book reviews. I've received a few books in the last week that I've been waiting a while for, and I'm really excited about some of them (and, first impressions, a little disappointed by others already). Be on the look-out for these reviews and for some education possibly. Once I get caught up on reviews, I'm going to set a schedule and be more intentional about writing and reflecting.

Coming up:
Book reviews!!!
The Mountains and the Valleys - Faith's Highs and Lows
The Death of Ordination - and the Life Everlasting

No comments: