Thursday, June 13, 2013

The Making of Free Water

On June 2nd I preached at the church where I'm an intern. I took a risk and shared a message that was a challenge to myself, as well. This was the second time that sermon had been preached, though it was tweaked for each particular context, but it was a challenge each time.

The message I was to deliver was one that came to me through a lot of prayer and exegetical work. It was a message that was calling the church out for their behavior. It was a message that was calling me out.

I chose a video that demonstrated what I was saying. I chose songs that spoke directly of the point, often sharing words with the scripture.

And I wrestled with myself as the time came to deliver the sermon.

I knew this was a challenging sermon. I knew that words would reach out to the ears around me, and I knew that, to some people, they would sting. I was actually hoping they would sting. They had stung me repeatedly as I had prepared. We all need to be called out at some point. Being called out forces us to examine ourselves and (hopefully) change what we are doing.

Apparently it was a well received sermon and that makes me glad. Many people have complimented it and said that they were still talking about it in different gatherings. My only hope is that it did challenge the people around me as much as it challenged me and continues to shape me.

So what was the point? What was I hoping people would hear?

Well, it's the fact that sometimes the church is the very thing standing in the way of people seeing God. That it's the Christians that sometimes give off the impression that God isn't for everyone. Sometimes, it's me standing in the way.

What do I say? What do you do? What do we put out there that make our doors unwelcoming to our communities? Are we even outside our walls or are we always expecting people to come to us first?

The scripture was Isaiah 55:1-11, and the video, should you choose to watch it, can be found here.

This was one of those Sundays that is going to stick with me, and I hope the message sticks with the people who heard it. I hope it helps me question each and every day what my actions are, what my words are, and how I can better be an agent of God's peace and welcoming in this world.

And that is the making and reflection on free water.

Click here to watch another video, if you'd like. A friend showed me this the other day and it epitomizes the point of my sermon. Let us all be the proof this week to the people around us.

No comments: