Sunday, June 9, 2013

Same God: New Ideas, New Images

So, I've been in the process recently of getting things together for an art class. This is not an art class where we sit around and try to create the best piece of art, or judge each other. We are not seeking to put our pieces on the wall, or display them in the church. What we are seeking, though, is to find God in ourselves, in our experiences, and to take time to be mindful of our lives and experiences. The idea is to step away and explore for just a little while in a safe place. Practices of discernment and the examen will be present in our meetings, and I'm excited to offer this to those around me.

One of the reasons this has come back to me over and over again even if it's not typical of the community I'm involved in, is that it is an area we neglect often times. It is easy to get too heady and to not create spaces to allow God to be found inside ourselves. To see where God is working, has worked, and will continue to work through us.

One of the things we need for the class are books and quotes that are inspirational to the various members of the class. Because I don't know what people read, if they have anything ready, I am asking for your help. What are quotes that have inspired you? Are there books that were particularly meaningful on your journey through life? Maybe there are books of quotations or poems that would serve our purposes.... Please be sure to leave them in the comments or e-mail them to me! I would love to be able to purchase some of these resources for us to use over and over again. (Also, think of books for children, since one of the groups will be for young kids.)

I'm excited to explore God with the people in my community. I'm also excited to expand my own views. Groups like this encourage learning and experiencing together. And there are many things like this group that I'd love to see in our community. Things that bring us away from our everyday lives to live in community.

I leave you with this quote that has been challenging and inspiring me recently:

“Life is an opportunity, benefit from it.
Life is beauty, admire it.
Life is a dream, realize it.
Life is a challenge, meet it.
Life is a duty, complete it.
Life is a game, play it.
Life is a promise, fulfill it.
Life is sorrow, overcome it.
Life is a song, sing it.
Life is a struggle, accept it.
Life is a tragedy, confront it.
Life is an adventure, dare it.
Life is luck, make it.
Life is too precious, do not destroy it.
Life is life, fight for it.”
~Mother Teresa

May we all live into this quote and the expanses opened to us. 

(Don't forget to leave quotes or resources!)

No comments: