Monday, June 24, 2013

Spoken Words

My mode of communication is normally words; written words, in particular. I like to play with them, form parallels and then draw dichotomies. I enjoy using words to paint pictures from a different perspective.

But recently I've had a lot of experiences with the spoken words of friends and acquaintances that have meant a lot to me. Some of them were from women who have been praying for me for over a year and finally met me last week. In our conversation and prayer time they spoke words that I've thought before, wondered about, or just have never had the courage to say. There is power in putting words to those feelings and thoughts.

There have also been words of affirmation in my life. Many of them in the last couple weeks. Spoken to me at very different times, and with very different points, but that give me encouragement for various aspects of my life. While some of the words are flattering, I know that I will not be able to live into all of them.

And tonight, as there are so many things in my life and the lives of people I care about, that I lift up spoken words and cries of the heart in places where there are no words. God hears the cries whether through words, song, pictures, or silence. I am glad God hears these prayers no matter how we utter them, and I watch and listen anxiously for answers.

No comments: