Friday, June 1, 2012

The atoms of life

"Somewhere along the way I lost the idea that the big things are grand things. Along the way I learned that little things are often greatest. I am not overwhelmed by the beauty of the falls, but by the specks of water that make them. I am not overwhelmed by humanity but by people. Not by sunlight, but by the light of the spirit. The atoms of life that make us. The acts that create us. The littlest things. Life overwhelming." - Me

I was sitting here today, looking through some pictures from my past endeavors throughout the world, and I was really interested in this one of Niagara Falls from last summer. I was looking at the picture, realizing that it isn't the falls that make me marvel. It is the power of the falls. And what makes the power but each part of the falls. It is the little things that make all the difference. 

It is not the big things in the world that overwhelm us. It is the little ones. The smallest speck of water, many of them coming together, that's what makes the falls. The best parts of my travels have been the little things. Picking up a piece of glacier and licking it, essentially drinking water from thousands of years ago. Sitting in the jungle of NZ, or the mountains of Australia, the penguins of Philip Island, the beaches of southern Asia, or the rocky roads of Europe. These were the little moments. It wasn't things like the Taj Mahal (which is beautiful, don't get me wrong), but it is the smaller things that stick out in my mind. I don't remember the Tower of London the same way I remember the family I stayed with in a small village in southern England. 

The little things. 

The friend who brings smiles to your day. 
The person who laughs at the stupid joke. 
Letting someone with children in front of you in line. 
The blade of grass that is perfectly green. 
The counter melody that allows the melody to sing. 
The ostinato of life that keeps you moving. 

The little marvels. 

The atoms of life. 

Blessed.

No comments: