Saturday, December 31, 2011

the obligatory end of the year blog

2011 ends tonight. It has already ended in some parts of the world, and from what I hear, 2012 starts alright. That's good to know.

This year has been an insanely crazy year, and I have enjoyed most of it. We'll look at it in pieces:

January: I began the month with friends of mine, and enjoying the time with them. Then I started my last semester of school at my job. We got ready for our music field trip and tried to arrange visits from Carnegie Hall representatives to our school and the first ever music festival.

February: Music field trip the capitol of our city went off well. There were stressful moments logistically, and I stood in the middle of the road stopping traffic, but it was a lot of fun.

March: I want to my friend's place for the graduation of students from their school. And then I came back to school and pulled off the first ever music festival at our school. It was a grand time and really productive/beneficial for all involved.

April: Took long weekend and went to the beach and went to the southern most point on the way back. Other than sun poisoning it was a good time. I told my students I was leaving this month. Mixed reactions. I'm sure some of them didn't care, others were glad, and still others were saddened by this. We all have to move on. Prepared the final concerts of the semester and arranged for the Carnegie representatives to visit the school.

May: Arranged countless other concerts and prepared to leave the school and my home. It was an interesting month of ups and downs. At the end of the month, I moved back to America and tried to readjust to life.

June: I taught some classes and had some speaking engagements about my time overseas, and they were fruitful. Then I left to go to NY and spend time with my family.

July: This entire month was spent with my family in NY and it was fantastic. I really enjoyed it and all the time together. It makes me miss them dearly now. At the end of the month, I hurt my knee pretty severely (little ol' me was on crutches!!! I couldn't walk at all!), but a friend of mine came in to town and we went to Niagara Falls anyway! Then we came down to NC and moved me into my new place...

August: Spent settling in to my official 'new life', setting up house and healing my knee. Getting back involved in my church and trying to rest before school started.

September: School was in full swing. Shoo. It's a lot of work, but I was learning and meeting new people and having a great time in general.

October: Mid-terms came and went, and, unfortunately, I wasn't able to go anywhere for fall break. Certain things happened that changed my perspective on my past and my future. It wasn't easy, but it's been good. My father also went into the hospital for the first time beginning a tumultuous two months that continues...

November: A busy month, but I survived.

December: Whew, this month was busy at the beginning in all sorts of ways, but the last couple weeks have been very relaxing. It's been good, except for my car, and except for being sick. It's unfortunate that when I should be relaxing, I've been sick and poor, but that's okay.


In general, 2011 has been a year of massive change and it's been good changes. That is not to say that it's been easy. In fact, moments have been really hard.

But really, it's been good.

And I never wrote a Thanksgiving entry.
So what am I thankful for this year?

My bed. I walk past this thing countless times a day and EVERY time I think: "Man, I love you."
Power that doesn't cut out.
Fans.
Heat.
Stores that are fully stocked.
The comfort of home at night.
The community that surrounds me. More and more I am shown how amazing the people around me are, and I wouldn't trade them for anything.
School and everything that comes with it: new friends and awesome professors to learn from.

I love it. Life is good. I don't know how long I will have everything I have right now, but I'm going to enjoy it and be thankful for it all while I do. :-)

Happy New Year, everyone!!!!

No comments: