Saturday, December 24, 2011

The Shepherd...

I have always been partial to the name "pastor" as the leader of my church. Perhaps it is because I am a Baptist, but that cannot be the only reason. Amongst Baptist churches, there are many different names for the person behind the pulpit: preacher, pastor, reverend, some even use the term father. But for me, pastor is it, and perhaps that is because my first preacher was Pastor Harry. That was his name. He wasn't just Harry. Never. It was almost like not using Mr. or Mrs. in front of a teacher's last name. It was PASTOR Harry.

Because of this, even now, my preacher/leader/person-behind-the-pulpit will always be pastor.

I was thinking about this one day, and it became apparent to me that I can find no BETTER word to describe that person behind the pulpit. Unlike every other word used, this word does not actually imply being OVER a group of people. Some might argue the opposite, but follow me for a second:

A pastor (aka: shepherd) leads a group of sheep, that is unmistakable (at least to some). But do they really LEAD the sheep? Is there some massive journey or mission that they are on in which they are being led? Not really. Actually, the shepherd is just guiding them where they already know: to food, to water, to shelter. This guiding is ACTUALLY done by the sheep themselves who wander as a group to what they need. The shepherd does, however, keep them from the crevices that might be dangerous, and the general movement just happens naturally.

But the most vital role of the shepherd is to keep the flock safe and together! When one sheep goes astray, to go and find it. When there is an attack, to stand between the enemy and the sheep. When there is a crevice ahead, to steer them away.

How powerful then, is this image of a shepherd. Standing watch at all times, keeping everyone safe, and intervening when the enemy approaches.

I can think of no better way to view my Savior. He is my Shepherd. He will keep me safe from my enemies, and He will find me if I get lost.

And by extension, my Pastor is the same. He will intervene for the church against the enemy, and He will help keep us from getting lost, whether as a group or as individuals. It is a powerful view of the pastor. A true servant role at the heart of it.

Because at the heart of it, the value is actually in the sheep! In each and every sheep.


And how many shepherds came to Jesus that night? How many shepherds knew that there was an even greater shepherd on earth?

We are to be fishers of men, and shepherds to the masses...

Wow... (this could become a whole 'nother entry... and probably will)...

Jesus is my shepherd, and my pastor will always be my pastor.

What an awesome and different way to view the person congregations look to for guidance.

No comments: