Sunday, September 13, 2009

For a Higher Purpose...

"I denied myself nothing my eyes desired; I refused my heart no pleasure. My heart took delight in all my work, and this was the reward for all my labor. Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind; nothing was gained under the sun."
Ecclesiastes 2:10-11


When we work for worldly things, it is of no use. It is not until we are working for a higher purpose that it means anything. "Nothing was gained under the sun." Man, what a powerful statement.

I find it easy to get discouraged here, and feeling that nothing is being accomplished under the sun. The other day, during one of my tutoring sessions where I have about three students in my office at one time, we somehow got into an interesting discussion on denominations of Christianity and variations of worship practices. It was a really interesting discussion and I learned a lot about those particular students. It was refreshing and reminded me that there is a higher purpose in all of this. We're all learning together and growing. I'm really glad my students feel comfortable enough to have discussions like that with me.

I've had a couple really good discussions with staff at the school this week that have left me feeling encouraged and reminded that God leads us and when He does, we can stand anything.

Only one week of school left until field trip week and then I think there are only 9 weeks left until break.

No comments: