Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thanksgiving 2013

Some things I'm thankful for: 

1) I live away from most of my family, and have for over half of my life. This means that I've had to learn to form a different kind of family, and I am thankful that the people I've found welcome me and love me, and let me love them. This is an amazing gift that is worth more than anything.

2) I am thankful for the Thanksgiving dinner I had today with my two younger brothers and my mother. I don't know how this came to be, but the boys and I cry laughing nearly the entire time we eat holiday meals together. We will not be all together at Christmas, or at Easter, or Memorial Day.. but sometime in the summer we should be ready to do it again... Until then, I am thankful for Skype and Viber. Technology can be awesome.

3) I am forever grateful for heat, electricity, gas, carpet, and numerous other things that we like to take for granted. It is so nice to walk into your house and be warm, and I don't think it will ever be "old hat" to me again. Sure downstairs is colder than upstairs, but heat rises, and that is fine with me.

4) I am thankful for the ability to work. Sure, waking up isn't always fun, and sometimes it's crazy busy in my life, but I am thankful for it.

5) I am thankful for my education. Again, sometimes it is busy, and crazy, and I wonder what in the world I was thinking, but as I near the end, I know I've learned a lot, grown a lot, and made friends that will last forever.

6) I am thankful for the people that continue to pour into me. Whether it is words of encouragement, or words of advice, I am thankful they care enough to speak them and help me flourish.

7) I am thankful for technology. All kinds of technology and innovation. They help us do things that were not possible even five years ago, and impact our lives in huge ways. When used the right way, technology can be an amazing tool!

8) I am thankful for each and every day. Not just the things that happen in the day, but the day itself. One of my friends used to say "It's a great day to be alive if you're alive." Isn't that the truth? I always sang the song instead of letting him finish, though - "It's a great day to be alive, I know the sun's still shining when I close my eyes..." Indeed.

This list could go on and on and on... But I'll leave it there for now.

Except to say that....

I'm thankful for blankets. Lots and lots of blankets.

And pillows.

Amazing invention, those.

No comments: