Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Wait. What?

Where on earth did the summer go? I actually have no idea where mine has gone, and at times, I have a hard time remembering anything that happened this summer, and I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

A lot of things have changed this summer, but I will say that not many of my summer goals were accomplished. Something about life getting in the way, or something like that. I have, of course, moved houses, I preached earlier this summer, I took on new initiatives, and I did have a lot of fun. I just feel like this summer has been entirely too short, and I'm not sure why because there were 5 weeks that were spent on a vacation of some sort. I spent some great quality time with my family, and it is time that I wish could be extended right now. I still waiver on whether or not that is going to happen, and if it does, if it will be sooner or later...

But contemplations aside, summer is winding down. I have a week and a half until my last year of graduate school begins. I have a kind of busy semester not to mention working to pay the bills (and don't forget life in there somewhere!). Because my schedule is going to be tight, I have to be more intentional about self-care - keeping appointments, listening carefully to my body, and most importantly - listening to my soul. I've got enough going on without burning out at some point.

Which brings me to something else. I read a blog a little while ago that spoke to me. You can read it here. It talks about the inside versus outside leg when showing horses. This is something I grew up knowing - showing the judges one thing (a calm, collected presence), while working hard in the hidden spaces. I began reflecting on my summer and my current position in life and almost feel like I'm not taking care of myself as I should. I haven't read any books this summer (save the Hunger Games trilogy for the first time); I haven't done anything extraordinary; My initial plan to take a day off per week (or at least every other) didn't pan out... All these things... But I realized that I've done an okay job at finding new ways - in particular, through art.

I came upon this outlet as an assignment and didn't expect it to be something to last, but it has. I'm not amazing, and what I do is not for presentation, but for me to try to process, and to keep my mind working. And that is important, because right now, I'm not sure my mind is ready for school to start back.

The end of summer is no fun.

But I think that in the coming days I'm going to make some fall goals, and I will need to be more accountable to keeping them. I want to cook more and maybe fall will be more conducive to that since so many of the recipes I want to try are crock-pot recipes.

But for now, a week and a half more of summer. I hope to end it well, as it is my last summer vacation, I suppose. At least, a long one...

No comments: