Sunday, August 26, 2012

Why I don't want to grow up

I do not want to grow up. I really don't. I've spent much of my life growing up faster than I should and it was only later than I finally let myself chill out a bit (granted, there is some growing up that you can't undo).

But really, I do not want to grow up. They say growing up is a choice.

This is not to be confused with being responsible. I am responsible. I do my work and I do it well.

But I won't grow up.

You see, as we 'grow up' and become stiff, we forget all the good that is around us. When we are children it is okay to sit in the grass and smell the flowers. Literally. Why should I forget this as my chronological age continues to rise?

Why should I stop imagining all the things that could happen?

Why should I stop laughing with children as they run around an empty field with a hoop and a stick?

Why should I stop pretending to be a superhero when it seems that everything else is going wrong?

Why should I stop dancing when I get good news?

Why should I stop breaking out into song whenever I feel moved to?

Why should I not make stupid jokes and laugh when someone else does?

Why should I forget to put a smile on my face in the mornings?

Why should I stop taking time for relationships?

Why should I put shoes on my feet that make it impossible to run at a moments notice?

Why put shoes on at all?

Do shoes suddenly make someone more respectable?

Is that why we like to think we're better than people on the other side of the world?

Because we have shoes?


I don't want to wear shoes.
I want to feel the ground under my feet,
And give my toes room to roam.

I want to play and laugh,
And sing and dance,
Dangle my toes in ocean foam.

I want to joke and run,
And talk all night,
For no reason at all.

I want to roll the snow,
And throw it hard,
Jump in leaves in fall.

I want to be old and gold,
Not old and mold,
Laughter crushing the room.

In touch with fun,
And each blessing around,
Not suppressing is gloom.

Talk with strangers,
Smile with friends,
And romp with God's creatures.

Watch the birds,
Catch a frog,
Examine their features.

Never forgetting to learn,
Always adventuring,
Each day brand new.

I want to be that one,
Never growing up,
Being one of the few.



"Laughter is the closest thing to the grace of God." ~Karl Barth

I want to laugh forever. 

No comments: